Tuesday, December 27, 2011

I Pray All Your Resolutions - Fail




We love to make resolutions this time of year. 

I think there’s something deep within our psyche that is hungry for a life built on optimism and hopefulness – as we plunge our futures into our new-fangled expectations of a new year, a new start – one begun from scratch.

This time everything will be different, right?  The resolutions we commit to this year will be followed with certainty and confidence and firmness.  Those ten pounds that we committed to losing last year (which turned into a gain of 5 pounds) will finally come off this year – because our motivation and willpower will be sifted through the determination and rigidity of our deeper commitment. 
Sounds convincing to me - and hey, good luck with that one!  I too will attempt some good and healthy resolutions – but this year, I will do it with my heart placed squarely on the God who comes to me most clearly – when I fail.

God - In Spite Of
For me, I’m going again this year with a God that remains faithful to me in spite of my total inability to follow his laws and commandments.  I’m putting my money on the grace of God that unconditionally grabs and claims me as his child, in spite of the conditions I place on Him.  I’m banking on the love of God that promises me results even when I have failed to earn them.  A God who comes even when I fail to accept him, receive him, or follow faithfully in my daily life.  When I fail to love the least of God’s children, I become one of the least.  But this year, I am doubling down on a mercy that comes to me in spite of my “least-ness.”

Freedom comes to us when we tell the truth about our selves.  It doesn’t have any impact when we attempt to convince ourselves of “how good we are,” or how “this time will be different,” or how morally blameless we have become because we have “tried to do the right thing.”  God’s forgiveness is not available for those who attempt, or try, or “give it their best shot.”  God’s forgiveness is only for those who fail.  And if you don’t have the strength and courage to regularly recognize and name your human shortcomings and sin – then you miss out on your daily dose of God’s love, forgiveness and mercy  (it’s there – it’s just not activated in your heart).  God sets those free who have the courage to name their slavery.

Whew!  I never knew that making a New Year’s resolution could plunge me so deeply into a reflection of faith and grace.  But isn’t that the point?  It is never the resolutions that we keep that bring us closer to God, but the ones we fail to keep – for these expose our inability to save our selves.  Our failings are the blessings that move us toward God and one another, in love.  May you fail well in 2012.

Christ’s Peace,
~ The Pastor.

3 comments:

  1. I. Love. This. !!! I feel so much excitement as NYE approaches, anticipation that THIS IS THE YEAR i get my you know what together. Then, shortly after, I am struck down with my failure(s).... This year, my goal is that my resolution be to stop the self sabotage that plows my path "for me" in all ways; health, relationships, career, etc. And it is the first time my resolution requires that I ease up on myself for all my past & present failures... in order to "succeed"...in fact, it pretty much rewuires that I resolve to not make resolutions... right? But the idea that I am loved no matter how I feel about my worthiness of that love is the most remarkable aspect of God. Only God could possibly love me no matter what. And Thank God for that! And thank you for your blog and perhaps especially the line "God sets those free who have the courage to name their slavery." Since I am so good at naming my failures, I guess God's plan for me is utter liberation!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've just inspired a post on my blog! I went by your facebook to say sorry we didn't get to chat on sunday, you were busy and we were late. =)

    Every year, I make as many resolutions as I'm turning that year. So this year, 28. The reason I make that many is....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that just put my resolution to clean the bathroom and change the sheets every week to shame......

    ReplyDelete